Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

My whirlpool side by side refrigerator just started to give

Customer Question

My whirlpool side by side refrigerator just started to give me trouble. The refrigerator side is not keeping the food cold. What should I look for. The vents are not blocked and the freezer part is working fine
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: My whirlpool is about 12 or 13 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can or should I can for help. I am 68 yrs old and live alone since I lost my husband and he always took care of this stuff
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I don't think so
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 22 days ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

There are a few things you can look for but most likely the issue is going to involve replacing part/parts on the unit to repair it, if the freezer seems to be working but the refrigerator section is not cooling properly then usually this is an airflow issue as the refrigerator gets its cooling from the freezer section of the unit. Check and make sure the fan in the freezer is running as it circulates the air in the unit from the freezer side to the refrigerator side. If the compressor is running the fan in the freezer and the fan in the rear of the unit next to the compressor should be running as well. If both fans are running then check the very back wall of the freezer and look for frost/ice build up on the back wall of the freezer if you see that then the unit has a defrost issue and ice has built up on the evaporator and the fan is not able to circulate the air in the unit properly. If there is no frost build up and the fan is running then its likely going to be a sealed system issue meaning the unit has a freon leak and is unable to cool properly. Let me know what you find and we will go from there, but if you are unable to pull the unit out and look at the back of the unit to check the condenser fan then you may want to call a service company to check the unit for you.

Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right on the star rating system and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know.

Hi there,
I was just getting back with you, I see the question is still open and unrated and I have not heard back from you is there something else I can help you with?