John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

My Jenn-Air JCD2389GES side by side refrigerator leaks water

Customer Question

My Jenn-Air JCD2389GES side by side refrigerator leaks water on the floor from both the freezer side and the fridge side. I have defrosted drain pain and problem still occurs. What do I need to do to fix this problem?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2002. This problem has been going on for 15 years. I wake up every few days to water on my kitchen floor. I have had a repair tech look at it, and not luck.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on the fix. If easy, I will do it myself. If not, I will call another repair tech.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. Just want to water to stop leaking. Other features seam to work fine.
Submitted: 21 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 21 days ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Where is this drain pan located at that you have defrosted?

I ask because the unit drain pan is under the unit and would never need defrosting unless you have extremely cold ambient temperatures .

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
The drain pain is under the right hand side of fridge. I defrosted another drain on the right side freezer section of fridge by removing baskets in freezer, removing vent covers, and running hot water through a tube in some kind of drain below the ice maker.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 20 days ago.

Ok that it the defrost drain trough, not the drain pan.

When your defrosting the drain trough are you flushing HOT water down the defrost drain line hole ( the hole in the center bottom of the trough?

I use a Turkey baster to flush hot water down the defrost drain line hole and to flush out the drain line itself.

Customer: replied 12 days ago.
the defrost drain. Yes, I am flushing hot water down the defost drain. In your 100,000 repairs is the last 36 years have you seen this before with Jenn Air. Is this a known issue and just a bad design? You have yet to tell me anything I do not know already.