Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My GE eterna refrigerator had thick frost on the back wall.

Customer Question

My GE eterna refrigerator had thick frost on the back wall. I scraped it off, but not sure if it is still working. I hear the refrigerator running but haven't heard the condenser kick in since I defrosted it.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I'm thinking its 10-15 years old. Model no. Is ERS2022DA serial no. SZ232399
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I doubt it. I know nothing about them. I believe I had to have a technician for the same problem before, 3-4 yrs ago?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

To start, the unit may not turn on for 45-60 minutes after shutting it off so just give it time. Other than that, scraping the frost off will not be adequate I'm afraid. This sounds like a common issue and it means that your unit is not longer defrosting in the freezer so the refrigerator is not able to steal air to cool down. You'll need to either unplug the unit for 24 hours or remove everything of the freezer and remove the lower back panel inside the freezer to defrost it with a hair dryer. Once all the frost is thawed out, the unit will start working again. To make sure the problem doesn't come back, you'll want to replace the defrost heater. GE's defrost heaters fail often because they are nothing more than a long glass light bulb. Order and replace the defrost heater at the bottom of all the frost and you should be good to go. Below is a link to the defrost heater you'll want to order and replace. It some with the defrost sensor clipped onto the top of the silver coils as well.

CLICK HERE for heater

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.