Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Samsung refrigerator-freezer has stopped making/dispensing

Customer Question

Samsung refrigerator-freezer has stopped making/dispensing ice. The cooling coils are frozen over. The internet says to turn the advance pinion. Where is this located?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 2 to 3 yrs Model RS261MDWPIXAA
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I'd like to
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: How long would it take and how expensive to call a repairman?
JA: I'm trying to find the right appliance technician for you right now. As soon as they are ready, I will let you know.
Customer: Thank you
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

There is no advance pinion---that is on an older completely different machine and not this model. This model doesn't have a defrost timer it has a control board. You will need to access the coils and thaw all the frost out with a hair dryer. If you have a multimeter, test continuity through the heater below the coils. If the heater has continuity, the thermistor sensor clipped onto the top of the silver evaporator coils needs to be replaced because that controls the defrost on this unit.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.