Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Barry, I have a Kenmore Elite Freezer (Frigidare Model #

Customer Question

Hello Barry,
I have a Kenmore Elite Freezer (Frigidare Model # 253.28092806).
This is a large freezer only unit.
We have only had it for 3 years...and until recently...when you would close the door...it would make a load vacuum sound, and seal so well, that you would have a hard time re-opening the door.
Now...It does not make the same vacuum sound (it makes a little noise once in a while, when closing it)...and we find it very easy to open most of the time. It is keeping the food frozen...but it runs most of the time.
Any suggestions...?
Thanks for your time!
Charlie
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 17 days ago.

So to be honest, that vacuum sound and suction you were experiencing is not what the manufacture intended. That occurs when the unit is sealing up TOO well. Often times that is due to being shut and wrapped with plastic wrap when they ship these units causing the seal to form too well with the frame of the refrigerator. Now this usually goes away over time as dust and less pressure on the door occur, but it's not a problem, it's just how the unit was designed. They don't want it to seal up too much or the door can't be re-opened right away because it's not allowing the pressure to equalize properly.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.