Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

How do I get rid of an unpleasant odor from our fridge, we

Customer Question

How do I get rid of an unpleasant odor from our fridge, we have taken everything out and cleaned the fridge compartment and the freezer compartment and the smell still is terrible
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: model # MBB1956HEW Maytag 8 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 24 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

You can use a strong solution of bleach water to wipe down everything then get one or two of these and put it in the unit and the smells should go away fast. The other option is to crumple up softball plus size newspaper and places them all over the freezer and just let the unit run typically within 3-7 days the smells will be gone and you can throw out the newspaper.

CLICK HERE

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.