Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My dryer keeps stopping and starting several times while

Customer Question

My dryer keeps stopping and starting several times while drying my clothes. I'm not sure what the problem is.
JA: What's the make and model of your dryer? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: It is 3 years old It is an he SensorDry
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: The sticker says GFDN120ED0WW
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes, I plan on doing the work myself...hopefully...
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

When the dryer stops, how long will it stop before starting again?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
3-5 minutes; sometimes 1-2 minutes
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

When the dryer stops can you turn the dryer on and start the drum up right away again or does it still sit there?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
No I can't start it. I have to wait for it to automatically start on its own
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

OK so that means that either your belt switch is tripping and not engaging all the time, or your motor is overheating and needs time to cool down. To know which one is your problem, you'd need to take the dryer apart and locate the belt switch next to the tension pulley which is below they dryer drum near the motor. You'd want to unplug the 2 wires going to this switch and tape them together to bypass the switch. Then re-assemble the dryer and see if it still cuts out. If it does, then your motor is overheating and the motor needs to be replaced. If it stops cutting out, the belt switch is beginning to fail and needs to be replaced.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
What kind of tape do I use? How do I pull the dryer apart?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Just black electrical tape is fine. As for taking the dryer apart there is quite a lot of work. You start by removing the screws coming in from the back of the top panel, then the top panel pull straight back, up, and off. Then you remove the screws going into the control panel, remove the control panel, then remove the screws going into the top and bottom of the front panel and remove the front panel. Be sure to unplug the dryer before attempting to service the unit and there are wires going to the control and front panel so be careful not to mix them up or yank on them too much.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 22 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?