Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

But one burner on my stove top gas stove lights perfectly.

Customer Question

but one burner on my stove top gas stove lights perfectly. one burner lights sometimes and other times will not light. the igniter does not work properly at times. What could be going wrong
JA: I'll do all I can to help. How long have you been dealing with this?
Customer: About a week.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I have had a tech here two years ago he tightened up the tso screws on the top of the burner and it has worked untill recently. I took the screws off and lifted up the burneraparatus there was a white salty hard film between the burner i cleaned it opff re tightened the screws and it appeared to work fine for the evening cooking . This morning the burner worked twice , now the igniter fails to operate properly. What do you suggest as my next step?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

If the igniter won't always spark properly, clean the spark tip with emery cloth or fine sand paper and make it shine again. If you continue to have problems the unit just won't spark all the time when you try to light the cooktop, you either have a bad spark switch or a bad igniter tip. Just listen to the cooktop when you turn the knob on and if there is no faint clicking or anything, you need a new spark switch located below the knob that you're turning to turn the burner on. On the other hand, if you here a clicking but see no spark, replace the spark tip on the burner not working.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?