Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I bought a used kenmore 90 series washer... it stops at the

Customer Question

I bought a used kenmore 90 series washer... it stops at the pause/cool down cycle... and won't advance or drain... when I move the dial to rinse it starts to agitate without draining and refilling...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

So to be clear, if you move the dial to drain and spin, it will never drain or spin it just sits there and the timer won't count down right? Also, do you have the full model number located below the lid down near the hinge like in the picture below?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Mod: 110. 24902200 ser: cp1121216 type: 111
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Thank you, ***** ***** you move the dial to drain and spin, it will never drain or spin it just sits there and the timer won't count down right?

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
At start it filled then agaitated... at pause/cool down it stopped... I advanced to rinse.... it agitated again half way through rinse it stopped again... I advanced to spin... it does nothing... I think because it won't drain...
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
I took the drain hose out of the drain 30" Up from floor... and pay it in the hole in the floor and it drains slowly
Customer: replied 3 months ago.
But if I leave the hose on the floor it won't fill
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

So it sounds like you just have a bad lid switch, it will stop the washer from draining and spinning but will allow the unit to still fill and agitate. This is for safety reasons. It also stops the timer from advancing when it gets to a drain and spin portion. Below is a link to the video you'll need to order and replace for your model as well as a video that shows you how to replace for your unit.

CLICK HERE for video

CLICK HERE for part

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 3 months ago.
Is there anyway to test it to b sure that's the problem before I start buying parts
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

If you had a multimeter you could take your washer apart, unplug the door switch and test continuity through the 2 outside wires going to the door switch to see if you have continuity when the lid is shut. if not, then your switch is bad. If for some reason your switch is good the only other thing that can cause this condition is your timer and that is much more expensive and can't be tested.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?