Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Whirlpool RF396PXYWO doesn't get up to temperature. The

Customer Question

Whirlpool RF396PXYWO doesn't get up to temperature. The beeper sounds and it shows 350 degrees but it's really only about 300. Both elements are hot
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 10years?
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no, this is a recent problem
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

So let's start by explaining how to test the temperature properly. Often time people will think that their oven temperature has become inaccurate. This could be true, but the first thing you want to do is test to see if this is the case. Get a cheap oven thermostat from a local grocery store. Place the thermostat inside the oven directly in the center of the cavity. Turn the oven on to 350 degrees. When the preheat light goes off or the oven is done preheating the thermostat will not read correctly. The thermostat should always be lower than the 350 degrees you set the oven at because it weighted. Think of it as a piece of meat, the meat doesn’t automatically heat up to 200 degrees, it takes a roast several hours just to get to 140 degrees. The thermostat isn’t as big so it doesn’t take as long, but you should wait at least 30 minutes when testing the temperature to get an accurate reading. If it still doesn’t check correctly then you have a problem.

This is either a bad oven sensor or a bad display relay control board. You can't test the board but you can test the sensor. Open the door and remove the 3-4" long thin metal rod attached to the back wall. There are 2 screws holding the sensor on that you can remove and then pull the sensor forward until you can disconnect it. With a multimeter, check the resistance of the sensor at room temperature and it should be about 1080 ohms. If it's not, replace the sensor, otherwise you need to replace your display relay board.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 5 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?