Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Refrigerator 01-05 quit working, water leaked out on the

Customer Question

refrigerator 01-05 quit working
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: water leaked out on the floor then it stopped completely but I plugged it into today and it works but what is the main problem.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes if I can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: it was made on 01-05 and is a good fridge but I am a disabled Marine Corps vet
Submitted: 23 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Do you have a model number so I can better assist you? Also when the unit stopped working did it sound like it was running still but it just didn't cool? or was the unit 100% silent? etc...

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
01-05 Frigidaire fridge, I plugged it in about half hour ago and I see it is running or the fan is working on it but it does not seem to be getting cool on the inside
Customer: replied 23 days ago.
with this being made on 05 is it worth fixing or should I replace it.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Ok perfect. Pull the refrigerator forward and remove the lower back access panel. Touch the compressor and is it room temperature, warm, or really hot? Also, is the fan next to the compressor running?

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
model # GLRS267ZDB4 SERIAL # IS LA50110986
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
NO THE COMPRESSOR IS WARM THE FAN IS RUNNING BUT IT IS MAKING TWO DIFFERENT SOUNDS.ONE IS SILENT AND THE OTHER IS A BUZZING NOISE
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

ok, that means your compressor is overloading. It will turn off for a few minutes and then try again over and over. Pull the refrigerator forward and unplug the refrigerator. Remove the lower back access panel and locate your large black round compressor. There is a small plastic box attached to the side of the compressor with several wires going into it. This is your overload relay. Pull the overload relay off the compressor and shake it. If it rattles, then it needs to be replaced. If it doesn't rattle, then you likely have a bad compressor and you'll need to call a technician in order to replace the compressor.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
Is that the small relay that plugs into the compressor or the one it plugs into. The small one does not make a sound.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

The one that plugs onto the compressor itself is the overload relay. The part that plugs into the overload relay is the capacitor.

Customer: replied 23 days ago.
in order to pull it off the whole compressor has to be pulled off in order to get it off.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 23 days ago.

No, the overload relay just pries off of the compressor.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
THANKS I WILL CALL FOR A REPAIRMEN TO COME OUT AND FIX IT
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 22 days ago.

No problem and I'm sorry about the bad news. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 21 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
No, witht the compressor going out I am going to buy a new one. With this one being almost 11 years old. It is not that much more to get a new one and throw this one away.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 21 days ago.

OK understood and I wish you the best but this question is still open and you haven't rated me so I can close this off my screen so can you please do so?

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 19 days ago.