Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

WHILPOOL FRIDGE MOD ED51TAXL01 WONT TURN ON, 6 YRS MAYBE,

Customer Question

WHILPOOL FRIDGE MOD ED51TAXL01 WONT TURN ON
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 6 YRS MAYBE
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: DON'T KNOW YET ..WPOLD LIKE TO TRY
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: THE PROBLEM STARTED I COULD PUSH THE ON OF SWITCH A COUPLE TIME AND IT WOULD COME ON FOR ABOUT A DAY
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

So your issue can only be caused by a bad thermostat or a bad defrost control board. Both are located up inside the control panel at the top of your refrigerator section. You'll need to remove this control panel to expose the 2 parts. You can't test the defrost control board but if you have a multimeter you can test the thermostat. The thermostat is the part attached to the knob you move to adjust the refrigerator temperature. There are 2 wires going to this part. If you disconnect the 2 wires and test continuity through the thermostat, you should have continuity if the thermostat is good. If you don't have continuity, then the thermostat is bad and needs to be replaced. Below is a link to both parts depending on which one you need.

CLICK HERE for defrost control board

CLICK HERE for thermostat

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
THANK YOU
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

No problem at all but I'm sorry about the bad news today. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today