Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

GE Monogram oven plugged in for the first time yesterday

Customer Question

GE Monogram oven plugged in for the first time yesterday touch screen lights up and beeps but will not respond
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It is model zet2r m3ss I purchased it about 4 years ago it has been in my kitchen the entire time in air conditioning it was never plugged in until yesterday other than to be tested at the factory I assume
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes I am a contractor and have some experience with appliance repair
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: When I plugged it in and it comes on and says initializing do not touch screen then it takes a minute or so with the clock blinking then the clock goes to steady the clock does keep time after it comes on it occasionally makes a beep sometimes I can press one of the buttons and it will beep. I was told by GE I should unplug it for between 30 seconds and 1 minute and plug it back in and that would reset all factory defaults I have done that twice it changed nothing
Submitted: 20 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

The issue is likely to be with the touch screen assembly, number 16 in the diagram at the link below.

CLICK HERE

That touch system depends heavily on a good ground and a good neutral. Do you have a solid ground and power supply to the oven?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I'm pretty sure I have a good neutral and a good ground I will check them when I get home tonight
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Okay, let me know what you find. Also, have you removed the protective film over the screen?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Used ohm meter to check ground and neutral 124 volts on each leg on the neutral and the ground I assume that means I have a good night and a good ground there is no plastic film on the touchpad
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Do any of the buttons work at all or is the entire panel dead?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
The touchpad is not dead it is lit up the screen says select cook mode then has bake broil convection Etc it also has a clock that is running then it has 7 little circles that stay home clear and off upper oven light options and lower oven light it does not respond when I touch any of the buttons it also beeps about every 30 seconds
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Yes, that is what I mean, it is dead to any tough, including the numerical buttons, no beep or anything when pressed?

Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Press and hold the CLEAR/OFF button for a few seconds. Does it change anything?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
it's dead to any touch
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

So holding the CLEAR button makes no difference, either?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
Pressing clear button for 3 seconds makes no difference at all
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

So the control sounds like it is faulty. Have you accessed the back to look for a connection issue?

Customer: replied 20 days ago.
I checked all the connections disconnected and reconnected them and saw no corrosion of any kind
Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

Well, that is not good. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

It looks like there have been issues with this control, it has been redesigned according to part number changes. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 20 days ago.

There are no active recalls or service bulletins for this issue, only fan related stuff. I believe that control will need to be replaced. Sit down before clicking part link.

The link below is to the part you will need from a highly recommended company rated A+ with the Better Business Bureau. They offer a 100% money back guarantee, EVEN ON INSTALLED ELECTRICAL PARTS, for an entire year! They are the only company to allow returns on installed parts for a refund and offer a FULL ONE YEAR WARRANTY!

CLICK HERE