John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

We just purchased our home last year home and it came with a

Customer Question

We just purchased our home last year home and it came with a Sub Zero refrigerator. I believe the refrigerator was installed in 2001. I don't know the model number but it is a stainless steel type and there is no ice dispenser or ice maker. Seems pretty basic to me. What we have noticed is while the freezer seems to be working fine, the refrigerator is not as cold as when we first bought it. We actually now have it cranked up to 10 (as opposed to 5 when we first bought the house) and while it is cold it's not as cold as I remember. We also are noticing an ice build up in the same spot on the back wall and there is definitely moisture at the foot of the refrigerator. I guess the drip pan might be full but I haven't checked. I am assuming that I cannot fix this myself because of the coolant requirements but can someone tell me what might be the most likely culprit what to expect from the repairman as far as cost and what he will do? I don't want to necessarily buy a new fridge because it was fitted in a certain space and I know they don't make regular fridges that big and I definitely don't want to buy a new Sub Zero.Thanks!
Submitted: 17 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 17 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 17 days ago.

You likely have a low coolant level in the refrigerator system, usually caused by a leak in the condensate loop. If you look at the bottom of the cabinet, there is a removable panel, below the doors. If you remove that panel, you should see a plastic drain pan. Inside that pan is a copper coil. Is that copper all green?

Customer: replied 17 days ago.
When I get home later I will take a look.
Expert:  Kelly replied 17 days ago.

That will be just fine, thank you. This type of failure is very common, so I suspect that is what you are dealing with.