Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Microwave model dotrc11b quit working last year after i

Customer Question

microwave model dotrc11b quit working last year after i overcooked scallop potatos and porkchops. there is power at the outlet but no power in unit. question: does it have an internal switch or breaker and if so where?
JA: Is the power loss consistent, or does it fluctuate?
Customer: Power loss consistent
JA: What is the model/year of your RV?
Customer: microwave iis sn: 503kmm00196 manufactured mar 2005. RV is 2005 aLPENLITE 32 FOOT FIFTH WHEEL
JA: Are you fixing your RV yourself? What have you tried so far?
Customer: Ive just tested the plug in and havent opened up the microwave. it is on a 4 yr warantee but i dont want to have to go through the trouble of taking it back to the dealership twice over a two week period if i cant help it.
JA: Anything else you want the mechanic to know before I connect you?
Customer: that is it. was hoping to get a copy of the schematics
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 22 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 22 days ago.

If it is totally dead, no lights at all, there is a fuse in the main power wire and likely a thermal protector as well. Can you please double check that model number and what brand is this microwave?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
No lights at all it is a domestic model dotrc11b sn: dotrc11b mftr Mar 2005. Sn: 503km00196.
Expert:  Kelly replied 22 days ago.

A Dometic, okay. Please allow me just a few minutes to see what information I am able to find. Sometimes they are not easy to locate information for.

Expert:  Kelly replied 22 days ago.

I am not able to locate much on that model, but do you know how to remove the grille from above the door?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
it just pops off
Expert:  Kelly replied 22 days ago.

Okay, great! When removed, do you see a screw at the top of the control panel?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
It has a black grill with two screws and looks like a fan behind it (right upper side)
Expert:  Kelly replied 22 days ago.

No single screw at the top of the control panel? Can you post a picture of what you see?

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Found light burned out. Long flat grey cover next to it where wires go underneath. Don't know how to send pic will try.
Expert:  Kelly replied 22 days ago.

There is a fuse in line with the main power wire. I suspect that is where the issue lies. Let me know what you find.

Customer: replied 22 days ago.
Found the fuse. Says 250v 15 amp. Geez tore lots of covers off unnecessary. Was behind control panel and only had to remove one screw lol. It's solid white so can't see element inside.
Expert:  Kelly replied 22 days ago.

That is a ceramic specialty fuse, it will need to be tested with a meter to see if it is open or not.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
ROFL....tore everything else apart then found single screw for control panel. Took approx 5 seconds to remove and fuse. Over an hour to put back together what I unnecessarily took apart lol. Get new fuses in a.m. will let you know outcome. Many thanks for giving me the courage to try to.fix something :o)!
Expert:  Kelly replied 21 days ago.

Nice work, keep me posted! Sounds like it will be a successful repair!