Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I have the Maytag Centennial washer and it rattles and bangs

Customer Question

I have the Maytag Centennial washer and it rattles and bangs and jumps around when it stops a cycle. It has always been quite noisy but it's really bad now. Would like to know when this model was made as i don't know how old it is. I'm wondering if mybe a bearing is going out. Thanks, Marion
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Approx. 10 yrs. info about it is behind the lid and i can't see it.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends on what's wrong.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Found these nos. ---Type 849-05----CD1542839-----MVWC6ESWW1.
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 22 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

The unit is about 8 years old, if it is doing that when it stops you could have a broken tub spring and a brake issue. That is a very good unit and would be worth having it repaired for sure.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.