Engineer-Tech
Engineer-Tech, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Years of Repair Experience, Bachelor's Electrical Engineering Technology, MBA
95589641

I have a Jenn-air refrigerator and for the third time the

Customer Question

I have a Jenn-air refrigerator and for the third time the ice maker is leaking. I would like to turn off the freezer until I can get it fixed, but keep the refrigerator running. How can I do this?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I can go downstairs and look for the model #, but it is almost four years old and it is a counter depth side by side
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, but I would like to turn off the freezer. The last two times I had this repaired, I needed to defrost the freezer in order to have it fixed.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: NO, just tell me how to turn off the freezer and keep the refrigerator running
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Engineer-Tech replied 7 months ago.

Hello and welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** *****

You wish to turn off the freezer only?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.

Ok, so I want to make sure I understand the configuration. This is a left freezer, right refrigerator model right?

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
No it is a side by side with a freezer drawer

Freezer on the bottom?

Are you still there?

Ok, the way this refrigerator works is that the freezer produces all of the cold air and a portion of it is pushed up to the refrigerator by a fan. In other words, the freezer is the source of all of the cold air and the refrigerator section borrows air from the freezer in order to stay cool. So if you turn off the freezer, the refrigerator section on top will get warm too.

So the answer is that you can't turn off just the freezer. Doing so will stop the whole unit from cooling.

Customer: replied 7 months ago.
Thank you for the information.

You are welcome.

Would you mind rating my service to you? Just Answer will only compensate me for my time if you rate me. A rating of 4 stars or more will allow free follow up questions for this appliance through this link. BONUSES are appreciated! Thank you.