Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our ice machine is not working, and we cannot find any

Customer Question

Good morning! Our ice machine is not working, and we cannot find any controls on the refrigerator for example to turn it off and on.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: it was made Oct 2011. the model name is RS261mdbp
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: we are trying...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Do you need the serial No?
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the freezer is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, press and hold the test button below the icemaker for 15 seconds (attached below is a picture of the icemaker bottom and the test button so you know what to press). If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube behind the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. You can also make sure it's not frozen by disconnect the water line coming from the icemaker and going to the valve at the valve. Blow through the water line to make sure it's clear. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.