Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

We have a Cabrio washer that has been showing error codes

Customer Question

We have a Cabrio washer that has been showing error codes F71 & SD. We have recently replaced the hub & it worked again until today after several bulky loads, errors F71 & SD came up again. I ran the diagnostic on it & then it came up with an F72 error. We have taken off the drain pump & it appears to be clear.
JA: What's the make and model of your washing machine? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: Cabrio WTW6400SW1, 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: we're trying
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: not that I can think of
Submitted: 22 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 22 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. So the first error the F71 & SD is the suds error

Suds Detection

Sd is displayed when the machine/motor control, by analyzing drag on the basket, detects a suds-lock condition, and is steady on while the control then runs a mini-clean out cycle. If the clean out cycle is unable to correct the over-sudsing problem, the cycle ends and Sd flashes in the display. This may signify:

• Excessive detergent usage.
  • Basket cannot engage during drain step.
  • Mechanical friction on drive mechanism, not allowing basket to engage.

The F 72 error is

Basket Re-engagement Failure

F then 72 flashes when the basket check routine fails to determine if the basket is re-engaged after being disengaged.

• Is the basket floating? If yes, pump out water. See Long Drain.
  • Does basket turn freely? If not, determine cause of friction.
Customer: replied 22 days ago.
We removed the drain pump and there were no obstructions. The drain pump seems to be intact, there is some rust on the metal inside the pump. There is a piece in the drain pump that turns and "propels" the water out. Is that supposed to turn freely or offer some resistance. I tried to turn it but it did not turn that easily.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 22 days ago.

If it did not turn easily then that is in fact your problem. The pump will need to be replaced.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 21 days ago.

This is the part for your unit and this company ships extremely fast Also in the event this does not solve your issue which I believe it will you can return it and get your money back.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Whirlpool-Washing-Machine-Drain-Pump/W10536347/2392433?modelNumber=WTW6400SW1&ss=a11b5i168d902625&mr=1

I hope you have found this information helpful and would be willing to rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 21 days ago.
Would a bad water pump trigger the SD & F71 codes? The F72 code did not come up until after I ran the diagnostic on it, which I had to do with some wet clothes in the tub.
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 21 days ago.

Yes it can because it being a suds error means that the pump believes its clogged with suds.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 19 days ago.

I noticed that your question was still open. Are you needing further assistance?

Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I just picked up the drain pump tonight to replace. I was waiting to make sure that resolved the problem. I am running a test cycle now, fingers crossed.
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
I ran it on quickwash, it is still in the wash cycle & the SD error is already showing
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We replaced the basket hub kit a couple months ago. I don't know what to do now
Customer: replied 18 days ago.
We removed the impeller & the basket hub. The hub appears that it may be worn down some already. The threaded post that it goes on, are the threads supposed to go all the way to the base of it where the hub sits? There is some black grit, like the post is worn around the base & may be the problem?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 18 days ago.

Yeah that does not look good at all.