Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

The floor of the freezer on a French door fridge keeps

Customer Question

The floor of the freezer on a French door fridge keeps freezing up and then we keep finding a pool of melted water on the floor every couple of days. The seal seems to be ok.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Maytag French door 25 cubic, Mf2571xem2 about 5 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

This is a very common problem but one that is pretty easily resolved. Please allow me just a few minutes to prepare some information for you, thank you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 4 months ago.

Inside the freezer, behind the rear wall (number 11 in the diagram at the link below) is the evaporator coil.

CLICK HERE

Under that evaporator (number 22 below) is a drip pan (number 20) that collects the water created by the defrost cycle and routes it to a pan below the cabinet (number 8) for evaporation. That drain is plugged.

CLICK HERE

The easiest way to thaw the drain is to open the doors and unplug the refrigerator for 24 hours. Of course, this will displace the food for 24 hours, which may be a bit inconvenient. The other option is to remove all freezer contents, shelves and the rear panel (inside the freezer) to access the drain trough to manually thaw it with hot water only, nothing sharp! Once that drain has been cleared, you should have no more water issues.

The problem is a known one and an updated drain tube has been designed and I would strongly recommend you install the updated it, available below.

CLICK HERE

The video at the link below shows how it is replaced!

CLICK HERE

Please know that I am compensated by the site only after you offer a rating at the top of the page. It is my goal to provide 5 star service!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions! Thank you so much!