Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Me top loading machine will spin, but when it agitates, it

Customer Question

Me top loading machine will spin, but when it agitates, it makes a loud grinding noise.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Do you have a model number located on a sticker down below the lid tucked down by the hinges? Or it could be on the back of the control panel on a sticker on the far left depending on the model.

Customer: replied 4 months ago.
Model mav8601aww
Serial 25997418gj
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Perfect, thank you. So when you get a grinding only when it's agitating on this model it means that either your transmission is going bad or more likely the bearing on your pump has dropped and the pump needs to be replaced. You'll need to tip the washer backward and remove the belt. Turn the 2 small pulleys BOTH directions. One is your motor and the other is your pump. If they aren't completely smooth going both directions, then it means that the pump above that pulley is failing and needs to be replaced. If both of them spin smoothly, the large center pulley is your transmission and the transmission would need to be replaced which is about $350 so it's probably not worth fixing at that point.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 4 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?