Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Our 2 year old whirlpool dishwasher doesn't drain. Upper and

Customer Question

Our 2 year old whirlpool dishwasher doesn't drain. Upper and lower filters appear to be clean. Prolonged running of the drain function produces an odor something like iodine. suspect motor is frozen.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: bought at home depot 6/14
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: no
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: It is an undercounter model and I would'nt mind paying a reliable service man.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

First, the filters won't actually stop the dishwasher from draining, they will only stop it from washing properly. As for the unit not draining, I'm going to assume you didn't recently replace your garbage disposal but if you did then you likely forgot to punch out the knock out plug on the disposal to allow the dishwasher to drain into the disposal. Other than that, you need to uninstall your dishwasher and drain all the water out that you can manually. Remove the drain hose and blow through it to see if it's clear. If it's not, then you want to replace that drain hose that comes directly off the drain pump because there is a back flow preventer inside this hose that failed all the time stopping the dishwasher from draining very well or at all. You can try to stick a flat head screwdriver through that 90 degree angle to get the back flow preventer un-stuck if you wanted to try that as well. Sometimes that will get the flap working again.

If the drain hose checks good, then remove the drain pump and look for and debris that may be blocking the drain pump impeller. Put everything back together and re-install the dishwasher to try again. If the dishwasher still doesn't drain, then you'll want to check 120 volts with a multimeter to the drain pump when it should be draining. If you're not getting 120 volts to the drain pump then you need a new control board inside the door. Assuming you are getting 120 volts, your drain pump would just need to be ordered and replaced.

Now if you wanted to contact a repairman, you'd want to call Whirlpool at 1.***-***-**** and they can tell you who is authorized in your area.

Please Don't Forget the deposit you placed to ask the question is not used to compensate me until you rate my service! Please Remember that when you are asked to give a rating, you are rating My Service and not this website itself or the problem of your appliance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 3 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?