Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

Can't get the GE over door back on. can a technician come to

Customer Question

can't get the GE over door back on. can a technician come to our house to fix?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: 5 years is a guess on the age.model number is *****
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: ready to get professional help. tried a few things already, with no luck
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: our location is in Grapevine, Texas.
Submitted: 27 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

So we don't actually run service calls through this site, but if you're up to it I can walk you through what needs to be done to re-install your door if you'd like.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
Ok. I've tried a few things already but I'll try again
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

OK perfect, so to re-install the door you need to actually lock the door hinges out. The best way to do this is set the door face down on top of a soft towel. Then, put a block of wood in your hands and push down on one of the door hinges really hard. That will force the hinge open. Once the hinge is forced open completely, there is a little metal flip up tab on the hinge that you just forced open. Flip this metal tab up toward the door and lock the hinge out. Do that to both hinges. Once you have both hinges locked out, you can install the door at about a 30 degree angle or so back on the oven. Then open the door and wiggle it into place. Flip the tabs back down so the hinges are no longer locked out and you can close the door.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
instructions failed to address the problem. oven door will not re-attach.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

I'm not sure what you mean. After you lock the door hinges out, all you do is pick the door up and put the locked out hinges into the receptacle holes on the oven frame at a 30 degree angle. Then open the door and wiggle it into place. Flip the tabs back down so the hinges are no longer locked out and you can close the door.

That's all there is too it.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
hinges will not fit into the door slots, and they are very sensitive and keep falling back in. i've tried for over an hour.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 27 days ago.

If they keep falling back in, that means you didn't lock out the hinges properly. If the hinges are locked out, they will not fall move anymore at all. Below is what a properly locked out hinge on your model looks like. If you can't do this then it's time to call a technician out. GE's number is ***** I'm sure you understand that I can't do this repair for you, but everything I have told you is 100% accurate in how to re-install the door. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?