Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model # 59677277790 and when

Customer Question

I have a Kenmore refrigerator model #***********and when the freezer door is closed it caused the air flow to the refrigerator to stop.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Kenmore is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: about 10 years old
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer:***********
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: yes
Submitted: 24 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

The air flow stops because when the freezer is closed, it's forcing the air to flow properly. The issue is that you have a defrost problem and the air can not flow properly when the door is closed. You will need to pull everything out of the freezer and remove the back panel inside the freezer. With a multimeter you need to test continuity through the defrost heater that runs along the bottom of the silver evaporator coils as well as through the defrost thermostat which is a 1" round device clipped onto the top of the silver coils. If either part doesn't have continuity it needs to be replaced. Other than that, use a hair dryer and thaw all the ice/frost build up that you see that that will get the unit working again. But if you don't replace the faulty part, the ice/frost will build up and stop air flow again in a few weeks.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 22 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?