Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have fixed up an older (mid 80's) Dixie Narco vending

Customer Question

I have fixed up an older (mid 80's) Dixie Narco vending machine (DNCB176/162-6). I got all the vending mechanics working, but am struggling with the refrigerator system. When I plug it in everything seems to fire up... the fan seems to work fine but the compressor sounds like it clicks to turn on but then immediately turns off. It gets REALLY hot.Could it be something simple like just adding a hard start relay or is the compressor bad. Or possibly something else? I have a basic understanding of electronics and a digital multimeter.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 25 days ago.

Either the compressor is locked up or the start relay has failed. What amperage is it drawing when it tries to start? Can you post a picture of the compressor's data tag and the electrical start components, please?

Customer: replied 24 days ago.
Thanks for the reply. I'm out of town now and will get you those pictures when I get back on Thursday. I put a 3 in 1 start relay on it and it sill is clicking and humming for about a second and then turning off. So I'm guessing that means the compressor is locked up? Anyway to test that? Anything to possibly do about it?
Expert:  Kelly replied 23 days ago.

If that is the case, the compressor is probably locked. If you can get hold of an "Annie" you may be able to rock it and free it up. The "Annie" would allow the compressor to be started in reverse and oftentimes would restore function. They are not made anymore but there are lots of them still out there!