Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Our 4 year old Samsung refrigerator/freezer has started

Customer Question

Our 4 year old Samsung refrigerator/freezer has started leaking water on the floor. A puddle appears every three days. This appliance has been a perfect performer for all this time. A new filter is set to be installed in January.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Samsung is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: We bought it new 4 years ago. Just one minute, I'll get the model number.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I would prefer to have a technician fix it. Model RFG238.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Everything else is okay.
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 29 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

That is a blocked defrost drain line in the freezer, you need to remove the items in the freezer section. Once they are all out remove the back panel INSIDE the freezer to get at the evaporator and Defrost Drain pan under the evaporator. You will see it is all iced over. You need to melt all the ice and that will expose a DRAIN HOLE towards the middle of the drain pan under the evaporator. Clear that out with a steamer, hot water with a turkey baster or compressed air Make sure the drain is working by pouring a half cup of really hot water down it and it should drain nice and fast If so put the unit back together and it will be all fixed!

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.