Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Second opinion] - I have a GE bottom freezer fridge, and the

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I have a GE bottom freezer fridge, and the light in the refrigerator section has stopped working. Was an intermittent problem before that could be "fixed" by tapping the light/temperature control unit on the side, but that "fix" is no longer effective. Sorry I don't have a model number handy, but was hoping it was a common problem with a simple solution. Unit is less that 1.5 years old...
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Bought it back in March of 2015 from Home Depot...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Hopefully...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's about all I can think of, short of the actual model number. Wish I had that handy. The unit where the light is has controls for the fridge and freezer temps. Doesn't appear to be a simple way to replace just the light itself, but bet that's not the problem...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 29 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 29 days ago.

On newer models, the lights are usually controlled by the electronic control board. Several models have had an issue with the LED modules and have been redesigned. I suspect you may have one of these models.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?