Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

Second opinion] - I have a GE bottom freezer fridge, and the

Customer Question

Second opinion] - I have a GE bottom freezer fridge, and the light in the refrigerator section has stopped working. Was an intermittent problem before that could be "fixed" by tapping the light/temperature control unit on the side, but that "fix" is no longer effective. Sorry I don't have a model number handy, but was hoping it was a common problem with a simple solution. Unit is less that 1.5 years old...
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Bought it back in March of 2015 from Home Depot...
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Hopefully...
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: That's about all I can think of, short of the actual model number. Wish I had that handy. The unit where the light is has controls for the fridge and freezer temps. Doesn't appear to be a simple way to replace just the light itself, but bet that's not the problem...
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 3 months ago.

On newer models, the lights are usually controlled by the electronic control board. Several models have had an issue with the LED modules and have been redesigned. I suspect you may have one of these models.

May I please have your model number so I am able to provide you with accurate, model specific information?