Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

My microwave is a Panasonic Brand (inverter) what should I

Customer Question

My microwave is a Panasonic Brand (inverter) what should I do to make it work all the way. It runs but it stop 4-5 sec?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Panasonic is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I dont know the model and also I dont have the instruction book.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: No, I dont know any about electronic, where Can I take microwave to be repaired?
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Thatws all I can say, I want to have it fixed to used it still brand new.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

So this issue is a very bad error code to get for this Panasonic microwaves I'm afraid. This issue on this microwave can be caused from several things, but it all means the same thing–the magnetron is not drawing the amount of power needed. You could have a faulty magnetron itself, a faulty inverter board, or one of your door switches can just not be activating correctly. You can’t test the magnetron or the inverter board, so the best thing to do is check the door switches. Unplug the unit and remove all the screws around the outer shell of the microwave and the outer shell of the microwave will pull straight back, up, and off. This will give you access to the door switches through the left of the control panel opening. There should be 3 switches which you can remove and make sure they don’t look burnt. Push on the little actuator buttons and see if the switches still click. If so then reinstall the switches and shut the door to make sure the door is activating all the switches when the door shuts. If so, then it’s time to guess which part you want to replace–either the magnetron or the inverter board. The manufacturer will tell you to replace the inverter board first, but it’s really a toss up. Both parts cost about $100-150 so it's normally not worth repairing if the door switches all check good.

For reference, this issue happened to me on a 5 month old microwave from Panasonic and it was the inverter board. It was under warranty for a year but the service center wasn't close enough to make it worth fixing because the microwave was only $110 and the inverter was $150 so I wasn't going to fix it myself either. I just had to buy a new microwave

Please remember to rate my service before you leave. If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. You can continue asking follow-up questions until you have all the information you need even after rating my service. Thank you!

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 6 months ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?