Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Bottom freezer leaks water from ice created in lower parts

Customer Question

Hi, I need help with my Amana Refrigerator Model ABB2224WES2, no ice maker. Bottom freezer leaks water from ice created in lower parts. It is around 8 years old, serial K30700618.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 3 months ago.
Hello and thanks for using this service!
That is a blocked defrost drain line in the freezer. You need to remove the items in the freezer section. Once they are all out remove the back panel INSIDE the freezer to get at the evaporator and Defrost Drain pan under the evaporator. You will see it is all iced over. You need to melt all the ice and that will expose a DRAIN HOLE towards the middle of the drain pan under the evaporator. Clear that out with a steamer, hot water with a turkey baster or compressed air. Make sure the drain is working by pouring a half cup of really hot water down it and it should drain nice and fast. If so put the unit back together and it will be all fixed!