Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

REfrigerator ice maker stopped working, whirlpool model

Customer Question

REfrigerator ice maker stopped working
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: whirlpool model gss26c4xxyOO
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if it is simple - I'm quite handy
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: no
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 29 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 29 days ago.

So to start, typically when the icemaker fails on this unit it means that the fill tube above the icemaker has frozen. Probably the best thing to do is determine if the icemaker isn't cycling and calling for water, or if water isn't actually making it to the refrigerator. First, make sure the ice compartment is below 10 degrees because the icemaker will not cycle if the temperature in the freezer is over 10 degrees. Next, fill up the icemaker above the bucket on the door with a cup of water and wait 24 hours to see if it cycles and dumps the ice. If it doesn't cycle, replace the icemaker because it's just bad. If it cycles but doesn't fill up with water, check the fill tube above the icemaker and if it's frozen solid, use a hair dryer and thaw it out. If it's not frozen, you'll need to replace the electronic water valve on the back of the refrigerator where your water supply line from your house connects to your refrigerator itself.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.