Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

I have a GE Profile Gas Cooktop (JGP975SEKSS) Water dripped

Customer Question

Hi I have a GE Profile Gas Cooktop (JGP975SEKSS)Water dripped into the control and shorted the top right burner switch, causing sparks and flames. I replaced the harness switch with part # WB18T10388. When the power was turned back on all the burners intermittently spark without being turned on. Only unplugging stops it.I did some additional online trouble shooting and replaced the spark module with part WB13T10047 and am still having the same trouble with the cooktop sparking. Gas controls connections seem to be working but I cannot stop the sparking. Any help?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 30 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. It sounds like the problem may possibly be with the spark electrodes. When the burner harness switch got wet it may have burnt out the spark electrodes. If they are not the problem then I would say the issue is with the control board.

http://www.appliancepartspros.com/ge-electrode-top-wb13t10065-ap3842287.html

If you have found this information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
Thanks -- I have new electrodes arriving and will update once I've hooked them up. I've also been advised to double check that I've wired the spark module and aligned the switches properly. Can you take a look at the attached photos and let me know if it looks right?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 29 days ago.

Yes that looks right to me. Let me know what happens once you putt eh new electrodes in there. I do hope you have found my assistance helpful and if you did please rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Hi there, I have now replaced the electrodes but they are still sparking when I plug the power in. Any ideas?
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I should also point out that the alarm sounds when I turn the control lock switch and the sparking continues even when the system is in 'lock'
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 28 days ago.

That sounds more like a control board problem to me then.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 28 days ago.

Was it doing this even before you replaced the electrodes? The alarm sound.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
The problem has persisted since I replaced the harness, I then replaced the spark module and now the electrodes. Alarm sound throughout. What/where is the control board?
Customer: replied 28 days ago.
This link directs me to the Buzzer. Will my replacing the actual buzzer have effect on the control switch and the sparking?
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 28 days ago.

It is the only thing left I can think of that could have got wet and causing this issue. Other than that I am out of ideas. Now if you would like I can open this up to other experts to see if they have a better idea or you can try replacing the buzzer and let me know what happens.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
It would be great to get another opinion from another expert. I'd like to avoid buying another expensive part unless necessary. Thank you very much!
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 28 days ago.

I completely do understand I don't understand why the electrodes did not fix this issue. Someone should be along shortly.

Customer: replied 27 days ago.
thanks
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hi there - when can I expect a new opinion ? Eager to make a fix!