Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My Wellbuilt 24" gas range is NEW to me, I just moved into a

Customer Question

My Wellbuilt 24" gas range is NEW to me, I just moved into a home with it in place.
Was working fine, but yesterday, the oven won't work. I looked; pilot light is ON but the long bar with holes for flame to come up into is not working (clogged?)
I am afraid of gas, thinking it's not worth a repair? WIth holidays coming, pressured to buy new or get this fixed, and have Thanksgiving and Christmas cooking all set.
Do local repair people service old ones like this? Thanks for advice!
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

When you turn the unit on does the flame get bigger by the pilot?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Please wait, I'll go try but yesterday I tried to turn oven on and it filled kitchen w gas...I'll, go try again...
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just tried:
took bottom metal out to see...to report to you....
NO pilot light on.
Then, I tried to turn OVEN on...
Turning knob...heard the usual clicks
Then, witnessed pilot light went on...
When I turned dial, pilot light did get bigger...I could see that it grew in size with moving dial...
The long bar with the perforated holes did not show any flames coming out.
I turned dial and pilot off to come back to write you....

Ok you need to leave it on for up to a minute to get a flame, if you still do not get a flame after a minute when the pilot is bigger then you have a bad safety valve. That can run about 300-400 for a tech to replace so that would be up to you to fix or not.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
let me be clear, and then I will be ok to decide.NO light at all on..
I turn oven dial, and it clicks.
within 3 seconds, the PILOT LIGHT LIGHTS (I see a blue flame at bottom of oven at back (in back of that long perforated metal bar)...I will go see if the whole bar lights up...(I just tried....YES< it all lit up, waiting as you suggested!)
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
tHANKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1 HOW DO i RATE YOU?

Just use the star rating link at the top of your page to rate me you should see a Star rating system

Did you find the link?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
all good thanks again!

For some reason it never came through, you have to select a star on the linke