Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

I have a GE Top Loading Washing machine and it will not fill

Customer Question

I have a GE Top Loading Washing machine and it will not fill the tub with water during the rinse cycle. I have changed the water level valve, the hose, and the timer and it fills like it should for large load to wash clothes but not during the rinse cyle
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: two years old November 19, GTWN2800D1ww
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No
Submitted: 25 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

What part number are you talking about when you say "water level valve"?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
175D4766pa17 c-283/14-b0137660017
Customer: replied 25 days ago.
We have already installed a new water switch, Timer, & hose. Does the mixing valve have anything to with this problem?
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

During rinse only the cold water is used, but if you're using cold water in the beginning of the cycle and cold water is entering during wash, then the mixing valve wouldn't have anything to do with the problem. But when the washer is supposed to rinse, does it still agitate without any water in or does it just sit there and never finishes the cycle?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It works normal in wash but does not fill properly on the Rinse cycle. Something is keeping it from filling properly.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

That isn't answering anything that I asked you so I'm going to ask you again. "properly" doesn't help me.

When the washer is supposed to rinse, does it still agitate without any water in or does it just sit there and never finishes the cycle?

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
It agitates normally but just doesn't have enough water. Its trying rinse a load with a quart of water instead of the normal amount.
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

OK well the ONLY thing that can cause that issue would be the water level pressure switch so whether you replaced it or not, that is the only thing that can cause the problem. If the washer didn't think it was filling up enough it would just sit there and keep trying to fill before it started to agitate. It won't start agitating until the pressure switch tells it that it has enough water so whether you had a bad valve, a bad timer, or whatnot, nothing could possibly cause that condition where it fills up with some water (not enough) and then move onto agitating other than the pressure switch. So I would return the pressure switch and order it from somewhere else since nothing else can cause that scenario.

Customer: replied 25 days ago.
Thank you!
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 25 days ago.

No problem and good luck. We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 24 days ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?