Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE Toaster Model #169051. The magnet in the door

Customer Question

I have a GE Toaster Model #169051. The magnet in the door stopped working. How do I fix/replace it???
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model #169051 It is probably 3-5 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Is the magnet in the door handle or inside the oven?
JA: I think they do a wonderful job. All Experts must pass our rigorous 8 Step Expert Quality Process. This ensures that you get the most knowledgeable, trustworthy help anywhere on the Internet. You can learn more about it here: http://ww2.justanswer.com/expert-quality-process
Customer: Wait a minute........Can I buy parts?
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

That toaster is not one that has parts available to have it serviced. Can you see what has happened to the door, is it physically broken? Can you post a few pictures?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
The door is not broken. It has a magnetic closer. There is no magnetism now. How do I replace the magnet??
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
There is a metal strip that affixes the handle to the door. Somewhere there was a magnet. The strip on the door is not magnetized. The wall of the oven is not magnetized. Where should the magnet be and how do I fix it???
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

Did the magnet fall out? Can you post a picture of what you see? There are no service documents for this because they are disposable appliance but if I can see what you see, I can likely help.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
If there was a magnet that fell out, it would be inside the oven walls. The oven worked fine until one day the door would not stay closed. I don't know if the magnet was in the door handle or oven walls.
Expert:  Kelly replied 5 months ago.

I am not sure, but if you could post some pictures I can surely help. There are no parts diagrams, no service parts or even any service documents for these, so I need to be able to see it so I can "revers engineer it" to help you.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
What I want to know is "Where is the magnet and how is it attached?". There is no sign of an apparent break or mal-function. I guess I will have to take it apart and find out for myself.