Webb-Guy
Webb-Guy, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  maitenance tech at casto
95800582

My Frigidaire Gallery ice maker freezes up all the time.

Customer Question

My Frigidaire Gallery ice maker freezes up all the time. I've had the repairman here a lot and he thaws it out with a hair dryer. I took it apart last night and used the hair dryer on the back where he did last time but still won't work. Any suggestions??
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Frigidaire is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's probably 4 or 5 years old and model #FGHB2844LF6. It's a Figidaire Gallery with top refrigerator/bottom freezer.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes if I can. Seemed so easy last time the tech guy did it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No, everything else works just fine.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 28 days ago.

Hello and welcome to just answer my name is ***** ***** I will be the one to assist you. It sounds lie the problem may be with your thermistor in the ice maker that needs to be replaced.

https://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Frigidaire-Refrigerator-Temperature-Sensor/5303918416/1533035?modelNumber=FGHB2844LF6&ss=a4b2i2587d1138797&mr=1

This is the part I am referring to and it will also come with the instructions on how to fix it.

If you have found this information helpful all I ask is you rate with 5 stars at the top so I am credited for my time. Rating does not stop you from getting back to me in the event you need me.

Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 28 days ago.

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

If the icemaker is actually freezing up that typically is a defective icemaker. See if it rotates when you press the test button on it and if it does not replace it. The icemaker runs about 70 dollars.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Expert:  Webb-Guy replied 27 days ago.

I wanted to check if you had the chance to check on the thermistor that I had suggested if the thermistor is checking good then the problem is located in the dispenser assembly and will need to be replaced. I just wanted to have you check on the thermistor first before buying a more expensive part that you may not need. Let me know what you find.