ifixitusa
ifixitusa, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Hi, I have repaired kitchen and laundry appliances for 27 years and I am eager to help you today!
70323290

I have a practically new DCS range / oven where the oven

Customer Question

I have a practically new DCS range / oven where the oven does not work
JA: What's the make and model of your oven? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: 1 yr old RGU-486 DCS is the brand
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: oven light works , convection fan works. both broiler and oven do not ignite
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
checked the igniter and it is not cracked.
the 12" oven (2 ovens 1 36" and 1 12") works completely.
in order for the oven to be turned on there are two knobs. one has the type of cooking (bake, convection, broil). the second is the temp. when the type of cooking is chosen the knob has a red glow ring around it. when you turn the temp past "Warm", it is supposed to light up the knob with an orange ring. The Red glow happens, the orange does not. on the 12" both light up and work along with the oven.
question is whether there is a resettable switch that I tripped by accident. We do not have a self cleaning oven. See the attached file for the schematic
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Here is a parts manual for this model
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Check and see if the ignitor has 120 volts to it, if not you can check the thermal limits on the back of the oven there may be a push button on the large one. Both should have continuity page 21 at your link parts number 9 and 10.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

Sorry to step in, you have a 2 year warranty on this product--call DCS for an authorized servicer in your area!

Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

Could be a bad thermostat--I have seen that issue

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the oven is under warranty but it takes a tech over a week to get out there to look at it and another week for a part to be delivered and I need this fixed by Thanksgiving!! No oven for a turkey = upset people!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
another problem is that I'm not with this range at the moment and cant test anything until Thursday. What other possible issues might it be?
Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

It's a biiiig oven to try and fix yourself

NOT easy

My advice is wait for a qualified tech, these are not do it your self units

Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

Thermostat--possible I have seen that

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i think the oven has been used <10 times. do you think a thermal switch went bad in such a short period of time? same goes with the thermostat
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
thought it might be the igniter but then the broiler should work right?
Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

Based on your description, I think you may have a faulty thermostat...possibly...there is a circuit board in it that I have seen fail

Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

245467 is the thermostat

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you know of a 'reset' switch or something like that on these DCS Ranges? I ran across this article that eluded to one:http://my.justanswer.com/question/guest/425b09ffe90942908ebafc6ec0398dde
Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

No, There is no magic reset that I am aware of...if only

I am sorry I fixit tech has no business stepping into this. The operating thermostat is not the issue. Check the thermal limits and the power to the ignitor first. If you need anything get back to me Appliance Guru

Check the limits I advised you on and check power to the ignitor. Does the broiler work?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Well, I will check those things on Thursday and get back to you. Can you think of a reason why it may have gone out so soon? can I 'swap' the parts 9 and/or 10 with the 12" oven? at least then I can cook a turkey for Thanksgiving!
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No the broiler does not work either but the convection fan and interior light works. the glow ring around the tempurature knob doesnt turn on like it does for the 12" oven either

See these limits I bet one is tripped.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Ok. Can I swap out with the other oven?

Yes you could or just jumper it out by connecting the 2 wires to it together temporarily until you get another one.

Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

If a limit was tripped the red light on the thermostat would not come on

SO neither work but both red lights light up on each oven?

Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

Yup, that's what they said, red no orange--themostat possible

Expert:  ifixitusa replied 1 month ago.

Thermals have to be ok for red light to show

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
the red halo around the cook selector works on both ovens. the temp dial halo works only on the 12" oven. see attached manual screenshot
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
just to clarify, the limits (the two red arrows on the schematic) i should be checking are both located relatively in the same place on the back of the range? parts 9 and 10 on page 21. which part aligns with what arrow on the schematic?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
hello. can you confirm?
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i need to order the parts ASAP
Expert:  ifixitusa replied 30 days ago.

Hi

If you look at the diagram, if a thermal was bad, the red light on the thermostat would not come on, right?

Expert:  ifixitusa replied 30 days ago.

That's why I think it could be the thermostat...