Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I am installing new kitchen cupboards and cabinets, and need

Customer Question

I am installing new kitchen cupboards and cabinets, and need to temporarily remove the Gallery Series Microwave. So far, I have not been able to see how it is attached to the wall behind it. I came to this site looking for installation manual.
JA: What's the microwave's make and model? And can you guesstimate how old it is?
Customer: I can see is "Gallery Series" on the upper front. GLMV16900QC? inside. serial #7G70408987 2007 model
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I AM doing the work myself. Been there, done that. This one is different.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Yes -- how do I remove it from the wall? I cannot see how it is attached behind the unit to the wall. I don't want to damage the wall trying to remove it.
Submitted: 26 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 26 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

There are 2 large screws that mount it to the cabinet above, you unscrew them all the way and then you will tip the microwave down about 45 degrees and pick up from the back edge as it will lift off the rear plate hinges and come out.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, that is the only way I am credited through the site, tips are appreciated.

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Right!!! that's the way I've always done it before. This one is different, however. I cannot tilt it 45 degrees (in fact, it won't tilt!). It is attached differently.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
$24.00 DOLLARS? To talk to me personally? Come on!
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
It is attached somehow somewhere in the middle of the back. Cannot see it. Weird!
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Hello?????
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I haven't received my $5.00 worth yet!

One sec, let me get you the instructions

Can you double check the model it comes up invalid

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
It's an Electrolux. My wife misread the Model # it is GLMV169DQC
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I have pulled it forward, distorting the wall bracket. I see that there are hooks bent from the middle of the wall bracket going into the back of the unit. However, unit will not budge off of those bent metal hooks.

OK here you go, this one just slides straight out.

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 26 days ago.
it says in fine print. It's not budging, straight out or otherwise.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
I just used brute force, and a multitool, to cut it off. All is well. Now I just need to find a replacement wall bracket.
The cut off pieces are still in the back of the microwave. I can't get them out without removing the whole back.O well.
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Whoever designed this needs to taken out and drawn and quartered!
Customer: replied 26 days ago.
Bye!
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 25 days ago.

I am glad you got it