Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a GE over the oven microwave. Some of the buttons on

Customer Question

I have a GE over the oven microwave. Some of the buttons on the control panel don't work. Not all of them, but just a few - eg The "Clock" button; the "time cook" button. The number pad works though. Now that we have changed to Pacific Standard Time, I wanted to change my clock back one hour, but the pad button just doesn't respond.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your GE is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: It's about 8 years old. I don't have the model number here with me.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: My son is an electrician, so I was going to ask him. I saw a YouTube video that said that it might be a ribbon connection that has come loose or something.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No. I have been working around the issue for the past few weeks, but not being able to change the clock has me wanting to fix it.
Submitted: 28 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 28 days ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 28 days ago.

Your touch panel is likely experiencing a failure. You may need to replace the control panel but there is a trick you can try first. Turn off the power to the appliance. Use a hair dryer to heat the panel up until very warm while rubbing firmly over each of the buttons. Often times, this will restore operation. Be sure to get the panel very warm but not hot enough to damage the plastic. If this does not work, the panel will likely need to be replaced. Let me know what happens, please.

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
Thank you.
Expert:  Kelly replied 28 days ago.

You bet, let me know how it goes!

Customer: replied 28 days ago.
I will. Thanks.
Expert:  Kelly replied 28 days ago.

Thank you!

Please know that I am compensated by the site only after you offer a rating at the top of the page. It is my goal to provide 5 star service!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions! Thank you so much!

Expert:  Kelly replied 26 days ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.