Tyler Z., Appliance Doc
Experience:  9+ years being an appliance technician with factory training.
13574879

A whirlpool refrigerator that just quit keeping things cold

Customer Question

a whirlpool refrigerator that just quit keeping things cold Could it be just
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: model # ET1CHEXVBO1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: HPOEFULLY IF NOT TO DIFFICULT
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: NO I DONT THINK SO
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello. My name is ***** ***** I'll be helping you with your appliance question today. Please wait a few moments while I review your question.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Did both the refrigerator and freezer section warm up or just one of them? Are they room temperature now? And do you hear the refrigerator running or is it 100% silent?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
whole unit went to room temp didnot hear motor but light still working I do not want to pay $ 24.00 just to talk after already paying $5.oo
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is probably 10 years old
Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

OK so the lights are on and the unit is 100% silent. That means you either have a bad thermostat or a bad defrost control board. The thermostat is part number 13 on the diagram below and the defrost control board is part number 4 on the diagram below.

CLICK HERE for diagram

They are both located in the ceiling of the refrigerator above the control panel. To know which one is at fault, you would need a multimeter. If you take the control panel down, there are 2 wires going to the thermostat control. Unplug the refrigerator first, then disconnect these 2 wires. Test continuity between the 2 terminals on the thermostat. You should have continuity through the thermostat between these 2 terminals and if you do not, replace the thermostat control. If you do have continuity, replace the defrost control since that is the only other option and that small board can not be tested.

We are on the honor system here. Please remember to rate my service by selecting a star at the top of the screen before you leave today and reply back here letting me know with a rating of 1-5 stars (5 being the best). If you need anything else, just let me know. You can continue asking follow-up questions at no additional charge after rating my service if you still need assistance.

Expert:  Tyler Z. replied 1 month ago.

Hello again. I'm just following up because I haven't heard back from you and I see this question is still open and unrated. Is there anything else I can help you with?