Chas
Chas, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Maytag, Whirlpool, GE & Kenmore Factory Trained Service Tech
13353276

Whirlpool Gold AccuWave System Microwave GH5184xps-7

Customer Question

Whirlpool Gold AccuWave System Microwave GH5184xps-7 suddenly stopped heating all else works, tried shifting door, unplugged 1 minute
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Chas replied 5 months ago.

Hello from our service,

My name is***** am so happy to help you today.

I would like to say that we are also on the honors system. I in good faith am going to do my utmost to ensure your satisfaction. Please before rating me, make sure that I have answered all your questions.

When you try to use it, does it act like it is working but just not heating?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 months ago.

How old is this unit? Reason I am asking is because of the cost for this repair.

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Ok, do not charge for phone, but please help try to walk through troubleshoot process.
Customer: replied 5 months ago.
2009, had some door close issues previously which effected heating
Expert:  Chas replied 5 months ago.

The problem is the inverter needs replacement. It is a royal pain in the neck to replace, however if you wish to order the part you can click on the blue link below to get it..

Click here

All I ask of you is to please rate me with one of the top 3 ratings. If there is anything else I can help you with today just let me know. You can continue asking questions for as long as you like even after you rate me. Tips are welcome if I have helped you a lot, however they are not mandatory

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Is there a troubleshoot method I could use to get codes? What led you to a bad inverter vs magnetron diagnoses?
Expert:  Chas replied 5 months ago.

The magnatron rarely goes out on this model, When the mag goes it usually gets real loud from shorting out. I also had a similar model of this one about 5 years ago and the same ting happened to it. The inverter is the most likely the problem, about 95%of the time. I can get you the tech sheet, however it will not help you very much as if the mag went out it would throw an error code that you would see when you try to run it...

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
My wife also said she used it about an hour before she tried to re-heat some soup, it barely heated the soup and she smelled an order of burnt wiring or so.
Expert:  Chas replied 5 months ago.

Then it is definitely the causing the problem..

Expert:  Chas replied 5 months ago.

Any other questions on this problem?

Customer: replied 5 months ago.
Currently searching for service manual or repair help on Rem/Repl installation of inverter. If any suggestions, please forward and will let you know of results of repair after Thursday (parts deliv. due Wed.)
Expert:  Chas replied 5 months ago.

There is no video on replacing it.. at least I have never seen one, however is is taking the complete unit down and taking it completely apart to get it in. I have replaced several and hated just about every minute of it. I wish I can give you something better to go on, however most techs pass on this repair because the trouble to do it and the expense that is charged, I charged $200 for installation of this part. so it would cost about $350 on a $400 unit, not really worth it...

Expert:  Chas replied 5 months ago.

Any other question on this problem for me?