Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Yesterday, I realized one of my breakers had been tripped.

Customer Question

Yesterday, I realized one of my breakers had been tripped. I'' not sure how. I reset it & everything's fine except that my washing machine, which is on that breaker, is flashing error codes & not working. Maytag wfw9250ww01. error e1f6
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: whirlpool duet, maybe 4 yrs? 5 at most
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: if i can
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I. an think of
Submitted: 29 days ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 29 days ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Try to unplug the unit for a full minute and then plug it back in if that E1 F6 comes back you have a board issue. Either the CCU controller is defective or the MCU(motor controller is bad) Typically the Motor controller will cause that issue. It burns out trips the breaker and then you get that code.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, A 5 STAR RATING ALLOWS UNLIMITED FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS AND A DIRECT LINK BACK TO ME.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
How do I find out which it is & once I've figured it out, am I able to fix it myself?

You have to remove the MCU board and then remove it from the housing and inspect the board on the front and back for visible damage you will likely find a burned out spot. Then replace it. Here is a video to help

CLICK HERE

Customer: replied 29 days ago.
I removed the MCU from the washing machine. I don't see anything obviously wrong or any way to remove the board from the plastic housing. Do I check the CCU, replace this & hope it works or?