Kelly, Appliance Technician
Experience:  Highly accurate diagnostician with over 30 years experience!
11418111

I have a Modern Maid side-by-side refrigerator with a Tri

Customer Question

I have a Modern Maid side-by-side refrigerator with a Tri Cold ice maker. The refrigerator was in the apartment when I bought it in 2002. I do not have a manual and the model number on the refrig door frame has come off.
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: The make is Modern Maid; I guess the age is 18 years old. The refrigerator is leaking at the bottom exactly where the doors of the side-by-side meet.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Depends what needs to be done. I live in an apt with a very good super so he might be able to do it.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: I can't think of anything. Do you have any other questions?
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Thanks for counting on us to help with your appliance problem. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you!

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Is there a sheet of ice on the freezer floor?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No sheet of ice. The ice maker is working, but the water dispenser is not.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Does it seem to leak more is you attempt to dispense water.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It is not constantly leaking. It does not leak when I try to get water or when I get ice.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Is it leaking at the metal area where the doors meet? Is that area rusty at the bottom?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
No rust. The leak is not in the refrig. It is below where the doors meet. It comes from the machinery behind the kickstand.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

There should be a pan under the cabinet to catch the defrost water. Do you see one under there?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
there is a pan. It is dirty and dry.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Any water anywhere other than in the front? Can you see a water trail leading to the source, like a cracked drain spout?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It has begun to leak again. Could it be a delayed response to trying to use the water dispenser and/or ice maker? The leak may be coming from the coil which is under the main refrigerator.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Sure, it may beleaking internally and building up until it leaks out, a common issue when a drain spout leaks. It could be that the water line to the ice maker is leaking. That will only have water in it once every few hours.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
What can be done?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Well, it depends on the cause of the leak. If it is drain related, probably not much. The drain line goes through the cabinet liner and is sealed and inaccessible. If it is a water line issue, the line can easily be replaced between the valve and the ice maker.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Once the source of the leak is identified I can give you more precise information.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How can I identify the source of the leak? If I don't use the ice maker, will that solve the problem?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Yes, shut the ice maker off. If leaks stops, replace that water line.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
How do I shut the ice maker off?
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Let me know what happens.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Just lift the arm and it should shut off.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

Please know that I am compensated by the site only after you offer a rating at the top of the page. It is my goal to provide 5 star service!

Please know I am here if you have follow up questions! Thank you so much!

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
Before you go, Kelly, how do I know if the ice maker has shut off? And should I remove the ice that has already been made? That ice is in a tray below the top freezer.
Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

The arm will stay in the up position.

Expert:  Kelly replied 1 month ago.

I would not worry about the ice you have in there now.

Expert:  Kelly replied 29 days ago.

Hello, I see this question is still open and I was just following up to see if you require further assistance.