Appliance Tech Dave
Appliance Tech Dave, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  30 years experience specializing in Whirlpool, KitchenAid and Kenmore
19941226

I have a whirlpool gold dishwasher that is approximately 6

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool gold dishwasher that is approximately 6 years old. I replaced the control board around 1.5 years ago. Recently i noticed that the water is not as hot and the dishes don't come out completely dry. I have to reset the machine on a weekly basis. The clean button starts flashing and that is when i rest the control panel and then sometimes it works. I can fit it myself, but I am not sure what the problem is. Either the heating element or the control panel?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: gu2275xtvy1
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: yes
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No thats about it
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 1 month ago.

Hello, this is Dave and I welcome you to JustAnswer. I'm reviewing your question now, and will post back with your reply ASAP.

When the clean light flashes 7 time it does mean the water did not heat in the correct amount of time. It could be the heating element or anything in the heat circuit. It could also be lack of water or water not circulating properly. Let me check the wiring diagram to see if there is anything else possible.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
do you think its the control panel? i replaced it 1.5 years ago.

On your model other than lack of proper water it could only be the control, heating element or the safety thermostat that you will see on the bottom of the tank in series with the element. Most times it is the element. Check it for resistance. It should be 10-30 ohms.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
i don't have the proper tool for that. I am trying to keep the cost to a minimum. If i buy the tool, how do i check for resistance?

You would need an inexpensive ohm meter. Pull one wire off the heating element terminals near the rear of the tank underneath and put one lead on each terminal connector. If you get no reading it is open and needs to be replaced.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
ok...based on my problem, if it was the control panel, wouldnt it not work at all?

It could work and do everything except heat or any other function if only that one relay is the problem but I doubt you have a bad control. I just checked and on your plastic tub model the heat circuit goes through a door switch just for the heat. So that could be the problem too. There are 2 door switch. One to stop it from running with the door open and the other for the heat.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
can i just replace the door switches

Yes and if one doesn't click properly you may be able to tell it is bad.

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
would a bad heating element cause the clean button to flash and force a reset

Yes, or the door switch or low water level. Anything that prevents the water from heating.

Expert:  Appliance Tech Dave replied 26 days ago.

How did it go? Do you still need help?