Joel Swenson
Joel Swenson,
Experience:  Owner at Scott's Appliance Repair
89799402

We have a KitchenAid refrigerator with the bottom rollout

Customer Question

Hi Pearl, we have a KitchenAid refrigerator with the bottom rollout freezer. We get ice forming under the roll out freezer drawer and then water flows onto our kitchen floor. Any ideas?
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your KitchenAid is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Model number KFIS27cxms5. It is about 4 years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If I can fix it easily, I will.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

every 8-12 hours your refrigerator goes into a defrost cycle to melt the ice off the evaporator coils, then the water goes down the defrost drain tube to the defrost pan under the fridge, if the tube gets stopped up it will cause the water to back up into the bottom of the freezer. The drain will have to be cleaned out.

The drain is located behind the freezer panel in the freezer under the evaporator coils you will need to remove the back panel of the freezer and you will see a small hole under the evaporator that is where the water is suppose to drain, get a air hose if you have an air compressor or a turkey baster and hot water and blow the drain out until the water drains down the hole properly and it will be fixed, let me know if you have any questions.

********************************************************************************

You are billed by the site regardless if you rate the answer or not the only thing you are doing by not rating is keeping me from being compensated for the time I have taken to help you. So please rate the answer before you leave today, THANK YOU

You rate the answer by clicking on the star rating system at the top right of the question page. Since I have given you the initial answer I ask that you go ahead and rate the answer by clicking on the 5th star to the right on the star rating system and any follow up questions will be free and of course I will continue to help until your issue is solved. If you can't figure out how to rate the answer please let me know. If you do not rate the answer can you please at least let me know why you did not so that I can possibly do what is needed to deserve the rating. Thank you in advance.