Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

My ge microwave has power but is not heating. Is relatively

Customer Question

My ge microwave has power but is not heating. Is relatively new and seldom used. Any suggestions for troubleshooting. I have unplugged it several times and retried but same results.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Does it just run light up and no heat? Or does it not even start?

Customer: replied 1 month ago.
It starts and runs but won't heat up. And I have minimal level of know how. I just plug it in and push button.

OK two things typically cause that issue, the first is either a bad door interlock switch and the second is a magnetron tube burned out. This will take a bit of skill and tools to take it apart and microwaves do store high voltage so if you are not electrically and mechanically inclined you should get a tech out to check it out. It would be worth fixing for either issue if it is that new, but there is no super simple fix for this unfortunately.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, A 5 STAR RATING ALLOWS UNLIMITED FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS AND A DIRECT LINK BACK TO ME.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!