John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

WZI have a Neptune Model# MAHAWW -- Serial Number

Customer Question

WZI have a Neptune Model# ***** -- Serial Number 45284917WZ01 that does not drain; or spin. I know many people have discussed the pump. But when I took the back cover off - facingthe right side of the machine (from the rear) inside a small part of the tub, I think I saw a sock...How do I get into that area?And if it is not that what else should I check. This machine has had all the Maytag service recalls done.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Maytag is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: Yes -- It is a Model MAH4000 AWW -- and it is I believe over or around ten years old.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, if I can.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: oops -- correction about 15+ years
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Customer: replied 1 month ago.
I also have heard of all kinds of other things like-- resistor R10 has burned up on the main board,the wax ring motor has failed, and something else (probablypump clogging or failure..
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 1 month ago.

Hello from Just Answer and the Appliance Category
My name is Woody.
I will be glad to assist you today.
I have been servicing ALL Major Brands of Appliances for 36 Years, I own my own Appliance repair Company
And I teach appliance repair at a local Community College.
I have over 100,000 plus in home repairs and over 80,000 internet repairs under my belt.
You will be paying me for my ANSWER to your Appliance Question,, Not for the repair of your appliance hence the name of this site Just Answer.
I will do my best to take the information that you provide to me and make a Diagnosis for you to be able to repair your own Appliance.

Are you saying that the sock is inside the tub ?

And the unit will not spin if it does not drain when the unit should be in a drain mode do you hear the drain pump running at all?

I see you have NOT replied back to me .
Do you still need assistance on your question?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
the drain pump seemed to be running. I removed it, and the recirculation pump, cleaned some stuff out from the large (thick hose) and yes there were pennies in it. After cleaning both pumps, I tested them off the washer (at 120 V ) and they both ren perfectly.
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 5 days ago.

ok so then you got it all up and running correctly then?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
No -- not yet.again inner drum did not drain fully and the dispenser did not release the fabric softner. Also the motor belst is a few inches stretched past it's stated length. Thus there is still water in tub -- and the spin cycle will NOT run.
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Someone told me that I also could have a door latch switch problem?
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
How do I get to either the switch or relay and check on this? I only have the back of the machine open right now.....

The relay do you mean the door switch relay or the motor relay?

And after it drains does it even attempt to spin?

Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Following you picture showing the spin enable switch then a few components to my left is the wax motor which plunges (I think when energized/closed into a springlike switch or relay. At the rightmost end of this spring there is a GREEN plastic thing that looks like a wire - but is not -- Its kind of fish hook attached to the end of that spring (in your picture). Your picture shows it as GREEN -- BUT mine is an ORANGE just HANGS over the left side of the cavity -- This ORANGE part just hangs over the open cavity. Your picture does not show where it goes. If the picture or another picture showever more of the left and/or the soap/bleach softner I could probably trace it. But I do not have the detail..... I'm adding your picture hoppefully for clarity....
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
On the picture it looks like it should go through the 3rd open slot from the left..... PLease get back to me -- or call me at(###) ###-#### If I can find the point of connection, reattach it to its connection point -- I may have aced the problem........../Dave
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Another quick ? -- Can the wax motor be tested at line voltage? I know there were two versions of this; I have the dark orange/brown one with a BLACK impeller...
Customer: replied 5 days ago.
Just a trivial question too: Why did Maytag choose to use these little wax motors rather than solenoids????????
Expert:  Whrlp Master Tech replied 4 days ago.

Ok the green lanyard is so you can open and remove the dispenser drawer and manually unlock the door.

The other end just goes into the cavity behind /beside the dispenser drawer.

This has nothing to do with electricity.

Is is just more or less the same as weed eater cord.

And I have wondered for years why Maytag used a wax motor here also.

No other manufacture does they all use solenoids .

The length of the belt will not have anything to do with the unit pumping out!

If the unit is not pumping out and you have tested the pump with external voltage and the pump runs you have to be looking at a timer issue.

If your not getting water into the fabric softener it is also either a timer issue or the fabric softener dispenser is clogged.

If the belt is tight and not slipping on either the drum pulley or the motor pulley it is fine, no matter the measurement .

And yes from the wiring diagram the wax motor is 120 volt so yes you can test it.