Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I keep having to replace element D, 74011986 on my Jennair

Customer Question

I keep having to replace element D, 74011986 on my Jennair stove model JES8850BCB. It is the dual element one . The coils themselves are always fine but the probe which has the plug running back to the switch somehow quits working and shuts down the element. What does that probe do and can I eliminate it. If I jumper the wire going to the switch it works fine. Im on my fourth element in 7 years.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Jenn-Air is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: I put the model number in my question. The serial number is ***** We bought the stove in 2007
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: I already have. I have it jumped. It works but I have no idea what the probe is that I jumped and what I have eliminated.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: No.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

That is the overheat temperature sensor. That keeps it from overheating if you bypass it it will work but if it overheats due to a switch failure there is nothing to stop it.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, A 5 STAR RATING ALLOWS UNLIMITED FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS AND A DIRECT LINK BACK TO ME.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!