Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

Refrig/Freezer has recent cooling fan...worked for 4 months

Customer Question

Refrig/Freezer has recent cooling fan...worked for 4 months then inverter went out and was replaced. At first unit would not start, but after being turned off for two days everything came on and worked for a week. Now the cooling fan isn't working and it no longer cools. An ideas why fan starts-works-then quits? It is from 2005. Model KSC525IN5500. Sears diagnosed both parts, which I replaced. I shut it off about 25 minutes ago-upon restarting the fan came on-it is probably cooling
JA: What's the make and model? And have you checked the settings recently?
Customer: KitchenAid, model above. Temp settings-yes.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: Yes, if part replaceable- I have recent $400 in parts and $200 in service calls. Probably stupid to sink much more in it. But it currently unreliable!
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: The only thing I can surmise is that there is a thermostat that is malfunctioning...
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 1 month ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

There is a good chance the relay on the main control for the fan is bad, it was a very common issue. The board is not sold new anymore and needs to be either sent in for repair or find a rebuilt one. That was super common though on that unit.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, A 5 STAR RATING ALLOWS UNLIMITED FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS AND A DIRECT LINK BACK TO ME.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!