John, Home Appliance Technician
Experience:  Appliance repair business owner for over 43 years.
12064207

I have a whirlpool refrigerator about ten years old. It has

Customer Question

I have a whirlpool refrigerator about ten years old. It has in the past stopped working the refrigerator part while the freezer continued working. If you unplugged it for a day and then re started it it would go back to working fine. It did this same thing except the freezer was doing the same as well. I replaced the startup capacitor thinking maybe the compressor isn't starting up and it still is maintaining a temp sometimes 40 and other times 50. I am not sure if the thermistor would cause this or should I look for the control board.
JA: Can you guesstimate how old your Whirlpool is? And just to clarify, what's the exact model?
Customer: GB2SHDXTB02 is the model number and it again purchased around 2008.
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: If possible , if its something to technical or that demands a professional than I will call someone. Just try to do what I can as finances are limited.
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Not that I can think of.
Submitted: 1 month ago.
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Joel Swenson replied 1 month ago.

Hello, I'm Joel and will be glad to help you today.

First thing I will need to know is the unit cycling off and not running at those temperatures or is the unit running constantly and not able to get any colder. Also just make sure both the fan in the freezer and the fan on the back by the compressor is running. If the compressor is running both fans should be as well, if both fans are running the compressor should be running as well. Check on those few things and let me know what you find, thanks.