Appliance Guru
Appliance Guru, Owner and Technician
Experience:  Over 15 yrs. experience with 10,000+ in home repairs.
21107370

I work at an apartment complex. One of our residents called

Customer Question

I work at an apartment complex. One of our residents called saying their refrigerater is not getting cold enough. What do I want to look for when I head up there?
JA: What's the make and model of the fridge? And can you guesstimate how old is it?
Customer: Have to get that when I go up, but age is 10 to 15 years
JA: Do you plan on doing the work yourself?
Customer: We usually do
JA: Anything else we should know to help you best?
Customer: Other than a bad thermostat just wondering if there is anything else I should look for
Category: Appliance
Expert:  Appliance Guru replied 2 months ago.

One moment while I get some information for you!

Hello and thanks for using this service! If you are a JA Member I would like to personally thank you and welcome you back! I am Appliance Guru an extremely experienced tech on the site and I try to get to as many customers as I can. NOTE it takes time for me to type research and add links so please wait for me to respond back I can only do this so fast. Secondly, I do not know your skill level so please try and let me know if I am going beyond your knowledge or comfort zone thanks! I strive for a 5 star rating from everyone especially our JA members.

Answer:

Check the fans to see if they are running both in the freezer and by the compressor. If they are check the condenser coil to make sure it is clean. If that is fine then remove the back panel inside the freezer and check the evaporator for excessive frost build up. If you find too much frost then you have a defrosting issue, if you have just a little bit and the rest is bare aluminum then you have a freon leak.

All I ask is please use the Star Rating Link at the top of your page before leaving, A 5 STAR RATING ALLOWS UNLIMITED FOLLOWUP QUESTIONS AND A DIRECT LINK BACK TO ME.....tips are greatly appreciated so thank you very much for using this service. If you have any other questions just post back to me here anytime!